Hello, readers. In this blog, I’m gonna share what depression is and what’s not?. I’ve earned a “diploma in depression” day before yesterday. So, I just what to share with you all whatever I’ve learnt and mainly I want to make you all clear that the normal feelings can’t be a symptoms of depression. We all would have came through some individuals saying, “I feel depressed”, “ I’m depressed”, etc,.
What depression is?. A group of conditions associated with the elevation or lowering of a person’s mood, such as depression or bipolar disorder.
● It’s actually a confusing condition. Simply, it’s more than feeling unhappy. If you are feeling sad today, that doesn’t mean that you are depressed. Rather, a person with depression feels sad for a month, year or even more than a year.
COMMON SYMPTOMS OF DEPRESSION
• Feelings of sadness
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Loss of interest in activities they used to enjoy
• Feeling anxious
• Being tired
• Having difficulty with sleeping
• Having no apetite
• Having no sex drive
• Complaining of aches and pains
SEVERITY OF DEPRESSION INCLUDES
• Severe Depression – Those with severe depression have depression that affects their own lives.
• Moderate Depression – Those with moderate depression usually have several symptoms related to depression, and their lives are affected by these symptoms.
• Mild Depression – Those with mild depression will have at least 5 depression symptoms, and their lives are only mildly affected.
● Exact cause is actually not known. There could be a genetic factor, and it might be triggered by another event, such as death in the family but genetic factor is also not a proven cause.
● Women tend to have depression more than men, and it could have a hormonal connection, as many women become depressed following childbirth or during menopause.
MEDICAL CONDITIONS LINKED TO DEPRESSION
• Head injury
• Polymyalgia Rheumatica
• Early dementia
• Medications – some medications have side effects that mimic depression.
DON’T GET CONFUSE YOURSELF AND THINK THAT YOU ARE DEPRESSED. WHENEVER YOU USE THE WORD “DEPRESSED”, JUST CALM YOURSELF BY SAYING THAT YOU ARE JUST FEELING SAD/BORED.
I’ll share some of the treatments for depression in my next blog.
STAY SAFE! STAY HOME!
Thanks for reading😊!