GENES WHICH ARE ASSOCIATED WITH ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE ARE:
¤ Amyloid Precursor Protein(APP) gene, which is located on chromosome 21. Mutations of the APP gene are also associated with an onset of alzheimer’s disease in a patient between 55 and 60 years of age.
¤ Mutations of a gene on chromosome 14 which is called Presenilin 1 (PS1) and mutations of a gene on chromosome 1 called Presenilin 2 (PS2) are also associated with an onset of alzheimer’s disease in a patient between 30 and 50 years of age.
¤ A late-onset Alzheimer’s disease is the APOE ( apolipoprotein) gene on chromosome 19. This is the gene that codes for a blood protein that helps to carry cholestrol through the blood stream.
● An extensive research shows that there’s no treatment for this type.
● There’re some common problematic behaviour associated with dementia are inappropriate sexual bdhaviour, wandering off, incontinence, etc,. These can be controlled by behavioural approaches.
● Antipsychotic medications can sometimes help patients to alleviate those symptoms but it has to given witj great caution because the patients who receive this medication are at increased risk of death.
• Some researchers stated that using a wide range of brain imaging techniques to study the brains of people at high risk for the disease can help to detect before the clinical symptoms appear.
• Using these techniques, an individual with APOE-E4 ( which can be detected by a blood test) allele can be identified.