Before knowing the treatments for depression, it’s very important for us to understand that what kind of advice we are supposed to tell to the depressed person.
• “DO NOT TRY TO DEFEAT DEPRESSION ON YOUR OWN.
• DO NOT DRINK A LOT OF ALCOHOL
• DO NOT SEE THIS AS A PERMANENT THING.
SOME WAYS TO BEGIN A CONVERSATION:
¤ ‘I have concerns about you’
¤ ‘I have noticed that you have been acting differently lately, and I wonder how you are doing’
¤ ‘You seem pretty down right now, and I wanted to check in with you’
People with mild, moderate and severe depression are very essential to undergo a treatment or a medication.
There’re 2 types of treatment: a) medication, b) talking treatment. Most people are treated by using a combination of both. The treatment options for people who have depression are based on the severity of the condition. However, many people will get better without any treatment at all, especially if the depression is minor. This can take several months, or even a year or more. The average length of a depressive episode ranges from 6-8 months.
TREATMENTS FOR MODERATE/SEVERE DEPRESSION:
1) Antidepressant medications– These medications can help people with symptoms such as sleeplessness, low mood, and poor concentration.
2) Talking treatment– It lasts anywhere from 12-20 weeks. Most common talking treatment include CBT ( Cognitive Behavioural Treatment ), interpersonal therapy, behavioural activation, and even couple therapy.
3) Electroconvulsive therapy
SEVERAL TREATMENTS FOR MILD DEPRESSION:
1) Internet/ Computer- based CBT
2) Group- based CBT
ALTERNATIVE TREATMENTS FOR MILD DEPRESSION:
1) Doing regular exercise
3) St. John’s Wort- herbal antidepressant available from pharmacies.
4) Supplements like omega-3 ( found in fish oil supplements) and ketamine.
Give your full support to the people who are depressed as much as you can because they need someone to share their feelings & thoughts. Don’t try to avoid them and don’t use the words that hurts them.
Let’s help the people with depression!